Subscription dues are just like a magazine subscription. It gives you 365 days of membership in the VFW. With this being the first year that they are coming into effect it will be a process that we are not use to. The basic breakdown of what is going to happen is:

If you are an annual member and you pay your dues before Jan your expiration will be Jan 2015. If you pay after that date whatever day your dues are processed at National will be the new expiration date. Example would be that you send in your dues to National on 1 Feb 2015 and National processed them on the 15 Feb. Your new expiration date would be 15 Feb 2016.

Whether you're active-duty or retired from the military, you are eligible to join if you meet our eligibility requirements.

Yes. VFW Accredited Service Officers are trained professionals, skilled in navigating the complex VA claims process and helping veterans to recover billions in VA benefits and compensation each year. Whether you're just preparing to file a claim or considering filing an appeal to your disability rating, find a VFW Accredited Service Officer in your area to get the assistance you've earned - free of charge. And you don't have to be a member to take advantage of this service.

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) covers only those facilities in which the general public is allowed.  While a VFW Post is often considered a private establishment, and therefore not subject to the ADA's requirements, it may still have to follow the ADA. If a Post is open to the public, then it becomes a place of public accommodation under the law, and it must follow the requirements of the ADA and, therefore, allow service animals. 

VFW Posts not open to the public that are considered private clubs and that do not fall under the authority of the ADA should bring the question of service animal access within the Post to the general membership for a vote. Generally, the VFW views it as essential that our members with disabilities who may, for instance, be accompanied by a service animal, have access to their Posts and thus the VFW embraces the provisions of the ADA as it pertains to the rules governing service animals. 

You can contact the National Personnel Records Center at 314.801.0800 or via its website. In addition to providing copies of military records, they are able to update records to correct errors or reflect awards that may have been issued retroactively.

No. The VFW's congressional charter prohibits the organization from endorsing or otherwise supporting political candidates or any individual running for a public office position.

You can contact the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) for copies of your Leave and Earnings Statements (LES) or they can direct you to your service-specific finance office for those records.

To request permission to use the VFW’s name, logo or marks for print or commercial purposes, please submit a completed authorization request form to the VFW Quartermaster General’s office or email qmgeneral@vfw.org for additional information. 

The VFW is always looking to develop strategic relationships with companies and organizations that work to enhance the impact of VFW programs and services directed toward service members, veterans and their families. By aligning with the VFW, you will be associated with our nationally recognizable brand and our more than 32,000 Michigan VFW and Auxiliary members, plus their family members. If your organization or company is interested in working with the VFW, please email our Director of Media and Marketing at pr@vfwmi.vet or call our office at 517-485-9456.

You must be a veteran who has honorably served overseas in an area of foreign conflict in order to join the VFW. However, if you are not eligible for VFW membership but are the parent, grandparent, spouse, sibling, child or grandchild of a qualifying veteran, you can apply for membership in the VFW Auxiliary. Visit the VFW Michigan Auxiliary website or call 517-487-3715 for more information.